Reading Notes: Ganesha Goes to Lunch Part B

  • While the gods were captured and were slaves to Ravana, I do wonder if they are abused or treated well (for slaves) under Ravana. Indra did say they were "seduced" by Ravana. I have this image of Ravana being totally ruthless as he took over Heaven but then being a really cool guy afterwards in Lanka. Maybe he even pays them a living wage. That or I can see another scenario like the United States penitentiary system: full of abuse and exploitation. One could absolutely turn this into a think piece like that.
  • The membranous egg-thing reminds me of that flesh lump that resulted in the Kauravas from the Mahabharata. But unlike them, this egg-thing is not a source of evil.
  • The perfect way to personify and describe the Gods: Brahma is the distracted, hopeless romantic; Wishnu is like the handsome, "popular" Marty Stu; and Shiva is like an edgelord or just some guy who thinks he's better than everyone else.
  • So when Shiva discovers Sati committed suicide because her father did not approve of Shiva, what if Shiva just loses it instead of trying to escape his pain by focusing on his austerities? The pain of losing someone you love can be enough to drive anyone insane. What if he pulled a Castlevania Dracula in that he is so overcome with rage and sorrow that he seeks to destroy the world in revenge? That is dark...
  • Are the ghosts that keep being associated with Shiva here similar to the goblins associated with him in other sources?
  • I still think it is strange that semen is a source of spiritual powers. I do not see how ejaculating would reduce that power. It is not like it is a finite "resource."
  • What happened to Ganesha's humanoid head? Was it just left and forgotten? Did it become something else? What if it got attached to another body?
  • Oh, that picnic in the Milky Way with Ganesha and the other gods and goddesses would make such a cute story! (See page 73.)
  • There is the image I had been trying to remember: the sight of the universe within Krishna's mouth! It is a little detail I had heard so long ago that inspired the obnoxiously long name of my blog. Did he open his mouth to his mother because he eats clay in every version, or are there different version where he ate something else he was not supposed to? And why did he eat clay in the first place?!





Bronze statue of Gensha
Web Source: Wikimedia Commons


Bibliography. Ganesha Goes to Lunch by Kamla K. Kapur, link to reading guide.

Comments

  1. Hi again, Molly! I decided to check out your reading notes since I have already seen your intro - I'm looking for ways to revamp my own! I really like the way that your bullet points are all organized as questions - I think that makes it easy to stimulate my mind to think of new stories to write, so that's something that I will try and incorporate into my own notes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Tech-Savvy, Overly Caffeinated, Artsy, Green Thumb

Week 10 Story: Count Jarasandha